Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sweet Potato Bisque

I can't believe I haven't shared this one yet!  Perfect timing with the weather finally changing to fall.  I just made a batch of this delicious soup yesterday.  Even my two-year old loves it and asked for it for lunch yesterday and today.  It's VERY adaptable.  Yesterday in fact I tried two small sweet potatoes (or yams) as well as some kind of large beige squash.  It was cheaper and I thought I'd try it.  Well it worked fine as well as adding in some baby carrots.  Seriously, the main flavor from the sweet potatoes can handle extra veggies, so try it your way.
Sweet Potato Bisque
1/4 C butter
1 C celery chunks
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 C chicken broth
1 C milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t cloves- optional- I'm not a big fan
Melt the butter in a 4 qt. saucepan. Add the celery and saute for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potato dices and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium, cover and cook for 25 minutes until the potatoes are very tender. (time will partiall depend on the size of chunks you made)

Puree the potatoes with a hand-held immersion blender. Stir in milk and cloves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve or freeze for later.

Sorry I don't know where this original recipe came from. Enjoy the ease of this soup and healthy sweet potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment