Monday, October 18, 2010

Not Your Grandma's Creamed Corn

If I tell you this is a recipe for Creamed Corn, I may loose you so... here's a really yummy recipe for corn that we always serve at Holiday meals.  It's not in the healthy category, except that there's a veggie in it.  It's so good though, if you like corn, you'll adore this warm and comforting version.  I repeat, it is not a healthy version of corn!... but so delicious I'd be depriving you if I didn't share.  Just don't make it too often (wink, wink)
I think my mom originally got this recipe from a newspaper (its not from the book shown). 
Makes lots!
2 pkgs (20 oz) frozen kernel corn- I like to do one yellow and one white corn
16 oz. (1 pt) Half and Half
1 tsp. salt
6 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. melted butter
3 Tbsp. flour
dash of pepper - optional

Combine all ingredients except last two in a pot and bring to a boil.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Blend butter with flour, add to the corn, mix well and remove from heat.
variation~ put finished corn in a heat proof casserole dish, sprinkle with Parmesean cheese and place under a broiler until evenly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment