Saturday, January 29, 2011

Use What You Have- Really

Ever heard someone suggest you use up what you already have? And think they were crazy, as if you don't already do that? If you still think that's crazy, I'd guess you haven't tried it. I too thought that was a strange idea when I first heard it- "Of course I use the food I've already bought!", I thought, almost insulted. But I've since tried it and consider it worth doing, especially on a tight budget week. Make the decision to plan meals around the items you have in your freezer, pantry, and fridge- not only to help things not go to waste, but to cut down on the week's grocery bill. Go on a scavanger hunt in your own kitchen, and start creating a new dish around that can of garbanzo beans you find. Plan to only buy absolute necessities at the grocery store if you go at all. Sometimes I get stuck on taking out some meat and planning around it. But be inspired by something different or at least try adapting a recipe. You don't always need every ingredient exactly as stated to have a successful dish. To cook for your family most days takes dedication, some time, and creativity. Your family shouldn't expect a perfect 3 course meal each evening. Get them involved in being creative with ingredients with you, and they won't be as picky with less-than-perfect meals. Vow to use (or at least plan around) what you already have for a week, and you'll save money, feel good about utilizing your own resources, and maybe stumble upon -or create-something awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment