Saturday, September 18, 2010

A New Spin on Cauliflower

Looking for a new side dish? This one uses a common vegetable as its main ingredient, but gives it a whole new look. I gave this a try after hearing about it from a friend, and really liked it. Of course,  I didn't measure carefully (sorry-that's me), but I think this recipe is VERY adaptable and just a matter of taste and texture liking. I've seen this be described a "velvety smooth" which mine did not result in, but perhaps I needed more patience with my food processor. Mine resulted in a somewhat-smooth-with-small-chunks consistency, but that was perfectly fine to me.


Adapted from the Taste of Home Cookbook- as you can tell, one of my favorites!

Cauliflower Whip

1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets

1/4 cup fat-free milk

1 tablespoon canola oil

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/4 C grated parmesan cheese

Start by steaming the cauliflower florets. I do this with a micro. steamer, but you can also do this with a steamer basket in a pot of water. Be sure the florets are steamed until tender. Cool slightly.

Place the milk, oil, and parmesan cheese in a blender or food processor. Add the cauliflower, salt and pepper; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a bowl. Serve immediately.

I think its great that this recipe allows for so much adaptation. Take out the cheese, add butter, add some herbs... whatever suits you. BUT as is, this is a pretty healthy vegetable side dish that still passes the taste test.

No comments:

Post a Comment