Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hormone Free Dairy

Is hormone-free dairy important? Seems to be the talk of many, yet perhaps not yet fully researched. Well, I don't need lots of research to tell me that hormones given to cows and flowing through the dairy products my family and I consume could be a bad thing. I think more research is needed to make real solid conclusions, but from what I've heard already, it doesn't sound like something I want to keep consuming if I can help it. One problem I've found with choosing the "healthier" alternative in many situtations though is increased cost. I was delighted to find out that my local (and cheap!) Walmart is one that carries NON-rBGH milk- their "Great Value" brand! Costco milk is another great choice.  Here's a couple sites that I found which list brands by state with dairy products (not just milk!) promising to have no rBGH hormones. If you too want to avoid those hormones in your dairy products- no matter what your reasons, these lists can make your decisions easier.
http://www.eatwellguide.org/i.php?id=Dairymap

http://www.sustainabletable.org/shop/dairymap/

No comments:

Post a Comment