Saturday, September 4, 2010

And Some Like It Cold

When I thought of this idea first, I thought I'd just be giving you a simple idea for saving a little money that could work for some, but in looking further into it, I've found that there's more to save than I realized. Seems like the consensus around "Go Green"-type sites are all in favor of washing clothes in cold water.   Not only will it save on your utility bill, but will also help reduce your carbon footprint. According to PlanetGreen.discovery.com about 90 percent of the energy used for washing clothes is for heating the water, which means that you'll only be using 10 percent to run the washer by switching to cold water. In addition, if you do 4 of 5 loads in cold water, you'll cut 72 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions this month alone. The SeventhGeneration.com site even says that washing clothes in cold water allows fabrics to retain their color and strength longer. My conclusion? Well first of all, I've tried washing in cold water numerous times over the years, and have never been disappointed. Now that I know what a difference it can make, I plan to continue to do so too. Unless you are washing baby diapers, or a greasy mess, I suggest you give it a try. I'm always proud to reduce waste, save energy (and MONEY!), and do better for the Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment